Monday, March 26, 2012

Days 24 and 25: Spring Break Weekend

My husband and son are on Spring Break this week, which is awesome. It's going to be so good for my son to have a week away from school and it's going to be so good for my husband to be able to spend this last week before his manuscript is due really working hard and devoting himself to it. Good for them and good for all of us.

This weekend was pretty successful. Saturday, my son and I made the peanut butter protein balls that I had blogged about previously. They are seriously the best things in the world ever. One a day will more than satisfy my chocolate craving and they pack a big protein punch so that after I eat one I don't want 10 more. Yum.

Also on Saturday, my husband insisted that I go for a run. It has literally been months since I've run outside by myself. Time is always my issue. I don't like running in the dark. I'm not afraid of robbers and rapists and whatnot - I have a cell phone and pepper spray. I'm not afraid of cars. I have eyes and ears. I am afraid of raccoons. They are out there at night and they are waiting for me. I've tried running in the dark and I'm telling you right now, it's not worth it. So, I miss out because I will not get up at 4 to run. No I won't, not while the raccoons are awake. And no, I'm not going to face my fear. I've faced it before and they came at me with their little human hands and I want to die just thinking about it. But I digress. My husband encouraged me to go for a run on Saturday afternoon, said he would watch the kids and I could hit the road. It was glorious. There is nothing in this world that feels as good as an outdoor run. Training indoors can kind of replicate the health benefits, but nothing can replicate the smell of fresh air.

Yesterday I did not get to the gym like I had planned because I spent the day with my family. Worth it. We went shopping and colored easter eggs and all that. It was good times. I had a big achievement as well. After the supermarket, my husband drove through the Frozen Custard place, which is practically my favorite place on earth, and I managed to avoid ordering anything at all. I took two or three bites of his chocolate cookie dough treat, and then when I got home I made myself a whole wheat tortilla with peanut butter, honey, and chopped apple. I didn't have to hate myself for the rest of the day and I felt great after.

Except for my couple of bites of custard, I stayed completely clean this weekend and feel better than ever. Last night I made a spinach-tofu scramble. It was super bland despite the fact that I added three garlic cloves to the mix. I ate it anyway, but I think the problem is that I've spent so much of my life just throwing cheese on everything that food doesn't taste that good to me unless it's cheesy. I've not gone vegan, but I definitely am cutting back on cheese consumption and my taste buds know it. Speaking of taste buds, I bought some bananas yesterday and I couldn't stop myself from eating part of one. Big, big mistake. I have blisters all over my tongue now. Ugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment