Friday, March 30, 2012

Day 30: The Joys of Cauliflower Crust

Every month, I invite a group of ladies and their children over so that we may share recipes and good times with one another. Each month has a different theme, sometimes surrounding a holiday, an ingredient, or a particular cooking style. The most popular thus far was our "Chocolate" theme. A chocolate lunch is one that no one can say no to.

Today's theme was "Foolish Foods" in honor of April Fools Day. The idea is that you either create foods that look like other foods or that you "hide" one food inside of another. Gourmet Gals didn't happen the way it was supposed to due to our household illness but I made a cauliflower crust pizza regardless and it was delicious. Even the 6 year old said he would eat it every day.

If you look online, you can find several recipes for cauliflower crust. I decided to go with my own version. I cooked the cauliflower until it was very soft, then pureed. I added a heaping tablespoon of ground fennel and lots of spices. It is completely vegan and gluten free if you're into that kind of thing. When my son tasted it after I added pizza sauce and low-fat mozzarella, he had no idea it was not simply pizza.

The one issue I do have with it is that the crust is not the right consistency, but I think now that it is because I made it too thick. I have some leftover puree and I'll try again to see if I can get a better texture.

Today has not been totally clean. I did eat a muffin prepared with sugar and white flour, but it had zucchini in it, so that's better, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment