Monday, March 19, 2012

Day 17 and 18: Organic Apples, $1.79 a Pound

The weekend was... just the weekend. Weekends are always different. They are not difficult or even harder, but my eating habits change with my entire family around me. I think I'm far more inclined to take it easy in the kitchen for all of the meals.

Saturday was not totally clean. We went to the state basketball tournament and I found an excellent clean eating option at the concessions: water! Everything else was cookies and nachos, etc. Unfortunately, by the time the game was over it was more than an hour past our regular dinner time so we had to settle for drive through. I was not about to go home and cook for myself that late at night, so I opted for the veggie quesadilla at DQ. It was either that or a mint chocolate chip blizzard.

Sunday was better. We had all of our meals at home and I made a special concoction last night that could only be described as a clean, vegan stuffing. It's not what I had intended at all, but it turned out really tasty. I combined some ground flax, whole wheat bread crumbs, tofu, onions, and rosemary in some olive oil. It will make a nice side dish the next time I make it, but last night it was my main course.

I also took my son to Natural Grocers yesterday to replenish my sprouted wheat bread and to buy organic apples for the first time ever. I have to say, and this may be completely psychosomatic, but the taste is very different. They taste fresher, cleaner, and just generally better. It may be my brain playing tricks, like I said, but I'll take the tricks. Yum. Plus, they were cheaper there than I've ever seen them at my regular supermarket. I also let him buy a mango, which I promised to serve with dinner last night then promptly forgot. So tonight's dinner will have to include mango somehow. Yuck.

After Natural Grocers, he and I went to the dollar store and loaded up on more pots for the rest of our seeds. Unfortunately, we didn't buy enough potting soil, so we'll have to venture out again when we have some time and the car at our disposal. As of now, we have some pretty robust seedlings growing. Lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, pumpkin, okra, watermelon, and various herbs and flowers are peeking at us to say hello!

Lastly, exercise was not on the menu this weekend. We've been suffering from stomach bugs in our house and I am taking my friend Robert Kennedy's advise and not exercising while sick. I feel much better today, so I will get back on track. I have been DVRing some of my favorite exercise programs and I have cardio exercise on the Wii, so I see no reason why I can't work in 30-60 minutes of cardio when I need to, even with a child clinging to my feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment