Sunday, March 11, 2012

Day 11: Sam's Club, Not Just for the Morbidly Obese

I officially have proof that you can make clean eating choices when you shop at Sam's Club. It's not easy, but it's doable. It's doable to the tune of $300, in fact. Today, I went through our refrigerator, freezer, pantry, and cabinets and I got rid of everything that needed to be gotten rid of. It was a project that took time that I did not have, especially with stupid Daylight Savings Time going into effect, but it was well worth it and hopefully will be the last time I need to do something so drastic in a long time. I filled an entire garbage bag with food that was hiding in the back of the refrigerator, things we'd bought at some point and were just never going to eat, and yucky junk that doesn't need to be around me or my family.

So, Sam's. I'm not a big fan of Sam's Club, but we have a membership there because diapers are so much way cheaper there than anywhere else. I did the math and the diapers alone pay for our membership. Most of the food choices there are atrocious, but I managed to grab lots of frozen veggies, a bag of ground flax seed, a huge bag of toasted almonds, and many other items that I can use to make healthy meals for weeks to come.

Tonight, I had red beans and rice, a nice blend of mixed veggies, and a piece of sprouted bread with natural peanut butter. I also made a pseudo-pesto sauce for my veggies. I used ground flax seed in place of the parmesan cheese and omitted the pine nuts. It was not that great, but with trial and error I'm sure I'll come up with something yummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment