Saturday, March 10, 2012

Day 10: Happy Migraine Day

Migraine! I have experienced that exercise can make a migraine much worse, then read the data to back it up. From what I understand, more exercise can slow the frequency of migraines but that I should lay off during one. It all has to do with blood vessels and whatnot. Whatever the case, it's migraine day, which means today is going to suck.

This morning, my son and I started some of our seedlings for this summer's garden. Last year, I had great plans for our garden, which did not turn out exactly the way I had hoped. We had plenty of herbs and lettuce, a few cucumbers and carrots, and pretty much everything else died. As it turns out, I'm not as thorough at weeding as I should be. The weeds pretty much took over the garden and we said to heck with it and just let them grow. Also, when we vacationed in the dead of summer, I neglected to ask a neighbor to come over and water. As it turns out, that was the hottest, driest week of the year. When we returned, we returned to dead plants. So, lessons learned.

This year, we are going the container garden route. I have yet to decide exactly how to do it. I had grandiose plans to build a raised bed and fill it with soil for our root veggies, but considering I don't have the time (or will) to mop the kitchen, I can't imagine I'll have the time (or will) to build a whole big thing. I already have boards leftover from a bookshelf that my husband built and later dismantled, but I can see me laying the boards out and then never doing anything with them.

My son and I went on a seed hunt this afternoon and picked up almost everything we need and want for our garden. We were unable to find cinnamon basil, peppermint, and strawberry spinach, but I promised my son I would order these seeds. Parkseed.com has all of these items at inexpensive prices, so at some point I'll place the order. We did end up planting more seeds than we can possibly house in our tiny yard, so I imagine a lot of my friends will end up with seedlings.

Clean eating has not gone well today. I can blame the migraine, but it's really a combination of laziness and, you know, stuff. As my son and I were out running around, he said, you know, mom, it's a really smart idea to bring ice cream home to dad. Well, how am I going to say no to that? So I did pick up the frozen custard and I did eat half of mine and it was delicious. And tonight I ordered pizza and though I haven't eaten any yet, I will. And it will be good. And if the baby finds it within her soul to sleep tonight, I will have a beer. And it will be good too. I'm not overdoing anything, I'm just not being quite so clean today.

No comments:

Post a Comment