Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Get Out and Walk

Yesterday, my son and I made the news. Honestly, it's not a big deal. When you live in a town of this size with so many news stations, you can almost guarantee that you'll be interviewed about something at one time or another. In fact, I even said no thank you when they first asked if I could be interviewed. But then I relented and I'm glad I did, because Gus was so super excited when later they asked if he could be interviewed as well.

The fact is, I did give up driving five years ago and people think I'm insane because of it. I chose to stop driving for many reasons. Partly it was because of our location. We are walking distance from everything I need. I felt it was unfortunate to continue driving when it is healthier to get out and walk. Gus, as a baby, loved our trips in the stroller, and I could easily get to the supermarket with him in tow.

For the last year or so, I started driving more and more for safety reasons. I joined the gym - the only one within close proximity that has childcare. It is close enough to walk to, but it is also located on the other side of a narrow bridge with heavy traffic and no sidewalks. I could walk there myself, in fact, when I was marathon training years ago it was part of my running route, but I would not push a stroller there and risk the life of my child. Therefore, to go to the gym, to become healthier, I have to give up walking. Is that irony?

I have decided to quit the gym once my contract is up and the summer is over. I am tired of driving and there are some internal issues that I don't want to get into. But it is important that our city have sidewalks so that children be safe as they walk. We are an incredibly pedestrian friendly city, and I'm pleased that the City Council has chosen to acknowledge the need for safety.

No comments:

Post a Comment