Monday, April 2, 2012

Clean Challenge: Day 2 of 10

Yesterday I challenged myself to follow the clean eating lifestyle completely for 10 days with no cheat days, cheat meals, or cheat snacks. Ten days is much easier to mentally handle than a lifetime or even a month. I think of a 10 day challenge as something anyone can do, and after the 10 days are over, I re-evaluate my choices.

Breakfast was so long ago that I don't really remember what I ate. I'm thinking there was an apple involved. Lunch was a bit more exciting than normal. Last Friday, I sauteed some veggies, whisked some eggs, and baked them together in a muffin tin to create a handy-dandy, all-in-one, easy to grab lunch food. I put my fork into one today and the inside was green. But I mean it was GREEN green. It was like food coloring green. It definitely was not mold. I think that the pre-chopped frozen green peppers that I used were maybe treated with dye? That's my best guess. I mean, green peppers wouldn't naturally do that, right? Whatever the case may be, I threw it out and then I threw the rest of them out. Instead, I opted for a lunch of celery sticks, guac, dates, and almonds. It doesn't sound like a lot, but it's well balanced and I enjoyed it. Dinner was black beans, sauteed tempeh, zucchini, and stewed tomatoes mixed with wholewheat bread crumbs, agave nectar, flax seed, and lots of spices. It was super yummy.

Sidebar: Last weekend, my kids and I had a playdate with some friends when one of them suggested I use agave nectar in place of sugar. I told her that I didn't use it because some book told me not to. When she asked why, I told her I didn't know, I was just following the guidelines. Dude, that is not me. I'm the person who scrutinizes and asks questions. I hated hearing that come out of my mouth, so I went out an bought agave nectar. It's healthy, it's clean, and I'm using it.

No comments:

Post a Comment