Sunday, April 8, 2012

Chocolate Bunnies, Star Wars, and Willpower

We have never done anything to celebrate Easter. We're not church-goers, except for on occasion when we wish to expose the kids to something different. This year, Gus has decided that Easter is a holiday that we have to celebrate, and as with all important holidays, the best way to celebrate is with chocolate, right?

I went out yesterday morning after visiting the gym and bought Easter presents for the kids. We've never done baskets before, so I just went to Hobby Lobby and looked at their clearance items. I know, lame mommy. Unfortunately, I wasn't wowed even by the clearance prices so I bought all of the 40% off candy that I thought the kids would like, purchased some stickers and a couple of those lunch box carry all thingies (Star Wars for the boy, Princesses for the girl) and filled them up. It's a dangerous thing, people. Our house is overflowing with chocolate and none of it is part of my clean diet. Today will be the day that I not only allow but encourage my kids to eat all the candy. I can only hold out for so long.

Workout was really great yesterday. I'm up to the 12.5 lb dumbbells for my weights routine - don't laugh, I started at 2. Level 7 on the assisted pull up machine is getting easier. I should be able to move up to level 6 for half of my reps this week. I managed to get all the way through weights and cardio despite the music choices at the gym. I don't know who's in charge of picking the piped in music, but it's really killing me. I keep a workout journal and I like to stop and write how I'm feeling during a particularly grueling workout. It's usually just a brief "Feeling great!" But yesterday I wrote, "Gym music should pump me up, not make me want to slit my throat." I know the solution is to use my iPod, and I do somedays, but it gets in the way when I'm doing weights and since I'm weight training regularly now, it's more of a hindrance than a help.

Food was really good yesterday. Oatmeal for breakfast, black bean burrito for lunch, apples for snacks, and we went out to eat at one of my absolute favorite restaurants last night: Hu Hot Mongolian Grill. I had a big bowl of tofu, black beans, loads of hot peppers and cilantro, squash, and tomatoes with spicy curry sauce. I could eat a ton of it, it's so good. I need a wok so I can attempt to replicate this food at home. Everyone in the family, even the baby, eats well when we go there. The greatest thing for me is that you can be totally clean with your meal because you choose everything, right down to the sauce that the food is cooked in. You have to look for it, but you can pretty easily find the ingredients of the sauces, so it's easy to know which ones to choose. We're not investors in Hu Hot. We don't profit from the restaurant in any way, so just trust that I'm a big fan and not a salesperson - as if they need it. The place is always packed.

I have a five mile run scheduled for today and then my mileage increases this week. Frankly, I'm rocking my runs this week. I don't think I'm going to have trouble at all breaking my sad, slow PR. Hopefully, that is. I just have to finish in 2:57 to PR, which I should be able to do, right? Right?

Lastly, I just wanted to say that I'm surprised that people are actually reading my blog. Honestly, this is about 70% to keep me honest in my efforts and about 30% for my own sick amusement. I can't imagine there is one thing I say here that would be interesting to anyone in the world except for me. For that, if you are reading this, I apologize. I'll try to be a little bit more clever in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment