Saturday, May 12, 2012

Pasta with Roasted Cauliflower, Parsley, and Breadcrumbs

Original Recipe

As a general rule, I have a difficult time following recipes. I read through this recipe, which sounds fantastic, but I wanted to use some fresh basil from my garden so I chose instead to sub out some of the ingredients. Instead of red onion, I used white and added chopped green and red peppers. I also reduced the number of garlic cloves from five to four, because the rest of the family is not quite as garlic crazy as I am. For the breadcrumbs, I used whole wheat, and for the pasta I used whole wheat elbow.

I served the dish with nothing but a piece of toasted wheat bread for me. The rest of the family had barbecue pork chops. The verdict? Pretty bland. The husband and the baby did not care for it. The 6-year-old said it was "plain," but ate most of it anyway. I ate mine, but was rather disappointed. Normally, I love cauliflower and I always love basil and garlic. For whatever reason, prepared this way, everything lost its taste. I do not recommend and I will not attempt it again the "right" way. I do think that it could be improved upon by adding some sauteed cherry tomatoes and black olives, though then the 6-year-old would run screaming.

No comments:

Post a Comment