Thursday, May 17, 2012

How to Prepare Brussels Sprouts So That (Almost) Everyone Will Love Them

Brussels sprouts are in season and I could not be happier. Brussels sprouts are my favorite vegetable. I could literally eat them every night and never grow tired of them. I have tried multiple ways of preparing them, but generally I stick to the tried and true method of either roasting or sauteing them in oil.

For years, I hated the dreaded brussels sprout. I looked on in wonder and horror as those around me consumed the vile weed. Then, one day, I decided to make the dish for a dear friend of mine who was coming to visit. She has long claimed brussels sprouts to be her favorite food and I always wondered why. Then, it hit me. My problem with brussels sprouts was not the food itself, but the way it was prepared.

I had always encountered brussels sprouts that were boiled. When they are boiled, they become slimy, the aroma becomes more pungent, and many of the nutrients are cooked out. Some people really like boiled brussels sprouts, but it doesn't work for me. Others like them steamed, and I truly can't stomach them that way. Thus, I give you the recipes that turned brussels sprouts from a nightmare dish into a dream come true.

Roasted Whole Brussels Sprouts

Heat oven to 450F. Remove the bitter, outer layer of each brussels sprout and make a sharp "X" with a paring knife in the bottom. Drizzle a bit of olive oil in the bottom of a roasting pan. Place the brussels sprouts on top (the amount doesn't matter as long as they are not stacked on top of each other) and sprinkle with paprika, freshly ground pepper, and sea salt. Roast for 20 to 40 minutes depending on how done you like your vegetables. I like them almost burned, but as I am told, I'm a giant weirdo. Don't forget to occasionally, and carefully, stir the vegetables. When they come out, sprinkle with freshly grated parmesan.

Roasted Halved Brussels Sprouts

These are prepared in a similar way as that above, except instead of marking the "X" in the bottom of the brussels sprouts, you simple cut all the way through. You can halve the amount of time spent roasting, but you also have to stir more frequently.

Sauteed Brussels Sprouts

Halve enough brussels sprouts to fill a large sautee pan. Be sure to remove and discard the outer leaves. Heat a bit of olive oil in the sautee pan at medium-high and add the brussels sprouts so that the pan is filled, but not overly filled. If you need more, you may need to work in bunches. Sprinkle the sprouts with more olive oil, ground sea salt, and plenty of fresh or dried rosemary. Sautee until sprouts are lightly browned on all sides, unless you're like me and want to cook the heck out of them. I don't stop until they are blackened. I know they are done when my husband starts to complain about the smell. Either way, when you are satisfied, remove from heat, but keep warm until serving time.

Shredded Brussels Sprouts

Shredded brussels sprouts can be prepared in the same way as roasting or sauteing. The prep time takes longer, but the cooking time is much shorter. Shredded brussels sprouts can be served on their own, or make an excellent addition to other dishes. Try adding roasted or sauteed brussels sprouts to vegetable pancakes, strudels, warm salads, or baked pasta dishes. If your family is like mine, and balks at the idea of having to eat brussels sprouts, add them to casseroles and other one-dish entrees and they will likely never know the difference.

Additions and Accompaniments to Brussels Sprouts

I have friends who swear by adding chopped walnuts to their brussels sprouts dishes. Brussels sprouts already have a nutty flavor, and they say the chopped nuts enhance their essence. I don't care for walnuts, so it doesn't work for me. Another suggestion I've often heard is adding the juice of a fresh lemon to the finished product. I find that it works well with shredded brussels sprouts that have been sauteed. I often also add whole cloves of garlic to the sautee pan. This can add a big flavor punch, which is great if you like garlic and don't mind bad breath.

I often serve brussels sprouts on a bed of brown rice, couscous, or quinoa. Since a cup of brussels sprouts is very filling, only a small amount of sides are needed to have a full meal. I also try to add a small side of beans or cubed tofu to the dish so that I meet my protein requirements.

Nutritional Benefits of Brussels Sprouts

Like most vegetables, brussels sprouts are very low in calories and very high in nutrients. Brussels sprouts contain massive amounts of vitamins K and C, and are excellent sources of manganese, folate, fiber, potassium, iron, and vitamins A, B1, and B6. They are also a decent source of calcium and protein. Brussels sprouts are known to be detoxifying, and have been shown to fight/prevent certain types of cancer in over 50 dedicated studies. Studies have also shown that brussels sprouts have anti-inflammatory agents, which have been linked to improved cardiovascular health. It has been suggested that brussels sprouts are effective in the prevention of such diseases as Crohn's disease, IBS, rheumatoid arthritis, and type 2 diabetes.

No comments:

Post a Comment