Friday, May 18, 2012

Natural Ways to Rid Gardens of Rabbits

I went outside this afternoon to water my garden and found that half of my okra plants are gone. The only culprit I could imagine is the dreaded rabbit. The neighborhood is teeming with them, and they are evil.

It must be said that I am not a rabbit lover. I don't see what the appeal is in them. They are rodents. They are rats with fluffy tails and big ears. I understand that some people keep them as pets. Some people keep snakes as pets too. Whatever. People are weird. That said, I still don't want to kill a rabbit. What I want is to find a way to keep them out of my garden.
I would maybe kill this one.
Fencing the Garden
One option, possibly the easiest option, is to fence the garden. That option does not work for me. I want quick access to everything on a regular basis. If I so much as tried to put up chicken wire, I would get so frustrated after the first attempt at getting through it that I would probably tear down the whole thing. I've never stated that patience is my best quality.

Being a Freak
One blog post I read suggested that I leave human hair and/or dried blood around the garden. Suffice it to say, that is not going to happen. The day that I gain easy access to enough blood and human hair to encircle a garden, rabbits will not be my primary concern.

Making it Spicy
Apparently, rabbits are very sensitive to spicy foods. This is why you so seldom see rabbits eating at Thai restaurants. If you use chili pepper around your plants, according to people who may or may not know what they are talking about, rabbits will stay away.

Creating a Diversion
Whereas rabbits do not love spicy foods, they do love leafy greens. If you set up a rabbit diner far away from the garden, they will take to the food that is ready and waiting for them. Some suggested main dishes are cabbage and lettuce. Linen tablecloths are optional.

Leaving Your Dog Outside
This has been an effective move for us in the past, but picking up the pieces of bunny bodies is unpleasant. Fortunately, that is my husband's job.

Liquid Rabbit Deterrent
Home and garden stores sell sprays that keep the rabbits away. Some are said to be organic and biodegradable, usually because they're made with urine.

In a few moments, I am going to sprinkle chili powder around my plants. I'll be happy to report back to let you know if this was as effective as using chili powder to deter ants in my kitchen (which was not at all effective). If it doesn't work, at least I have an idea for the rabbits that stumbled through the chili powder.

Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment