Monday, May 14, 2012

How to Grow a Persimmon Tree

My son told me that he wanted to grow a tree, which is, I think, one of the coolest things ever. I was ordering some flower seeds from Dirt Cheap Seeds, and I told him he could pick any of the tree seeds that they had. He decided on the persimmon tree, which both shocked and delighted me. I had thought he would maybe shoot for a cherry, but the persimmon drew him in. He said the fruit looked like a mango, which is his most favoritest thing ever, right next to Star Wars, the Beatles, and dinosaurs.

I have done some research on how to grow a persimmon tree from seed, in the hopes that I can help him to be successful in his persimmony venture. What I learned was rather disheartening for an impatient six-year-old. Persimmon seeds need to be kept cold for about three months before they should be planted. They also need to be started indoors far before they can be transplanted outside. Maybe I should have looked up this information before I bought the seeds?

Update: I heard back from the fine folks at Dirt Cheap Seeds and learned that the seeds have indeed already been refrigerated and are ready to plant. I intend on purchasing some inexpensive pots for the kids to each try to grow their own persimmon tree and, instead of starting them indoors, we'll just stick them outside and see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment