Monday, July 30, 2012

Half-Marathon Training: Week Two

Week Two Training Plan:
Monday: Run 3 miles
Tuesday: Rest
Wednesday: Run 4 miles
Thursday: Run 3 miles
Friday: Rest
Saturday: Run 5 miles
Sunday: Rest


Week One Recap:
I have been keeping track of my training each day and will hopefully be able to continue to do so. Last week's training, the first full week, went extremely well. I have great hopes for the future!

Monday (3 miles)I made the three mile run in 36 minutes. I want to say that is slow, even for me, but a 12 minute mile is actually not that bad. If I were able to keep up a 12 minute pace throughout a 13.1 mile distance, I would PR at about 2:37. I did try to increase my speed to a 10 minute mile but my right knee started screaming. I need to remember to stretch!


Tuesday (rest)I subscribe to Runner's World, though I don't read my issues regularly. I keep a stack of them under my desk and carry them with me to the gym when I remember. I usually prefer to read Oxygen, but in all honesty, I most often end up watching America's Next Top Model while I'm on the treadmill or elliptical. I like to watch the pretty girls get their pictures taken. It's my guilty pleasure. Anyway, I did end up reading an issue of Runner's World that had a plan for breaking 30 minutes on a 5k. I'm not planning on running a 5k, but I am planning on implementing some of the advice offered for increasing my speed. I managed one mile of alternating speedwork before I realized I have to start wearing socks to run. I hate socks, but I hate blisters more.


Wednesday (3 miles): I had three miles scheduled, but I ran four. I kept an easy, comfortable pace and paid no attention to my actual time until I was finished, then realized that I was running exactly at a 12mm. I want to hit 2:30 on my half, so I need to increase speed by a full 30 seconds per mile. Also, I talked over with the family what they would like to do, and we have settled on the Kansas City Marathon. However, I may have difficulty finding a hotel this late in the year. I've already run across a number of rooms that are unavailable. If it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out. There are plenty of other races.


Thursday (3 miles)Just the opposite of Wednesday. I had three miles scheduled and ran two. I could have run three, but unfortunately ran out of time. Friday is a rest day, so I intend on running the three miles on Friday to make up for it. Also, I registered for the Kansas City Marathon. I called the Sheraton to see if they had any rooms left, to which her response was that they have two. Two rooms. I booked it right then and then registered for the race. Happy birthday to me!

Friday (rest)I ran my three miles from Thursday and another mile just because I felt like it. I came in at just under 12 minutes per mile. As long as I can devote one run per week to speed work, I am hopeful that I can improve my time even more. Four miles scheduled for Saturday should be a piece of cake!


Saturday (4 miles): I did not run four miles today. Instead, I ran five miles. I am a full week ahead on my training, plus I realized that I am on a 10 week half-marathon training schedule with 12 weeks to go until the half. Instead of waiting to train for a couple of weeks, I've decided that I will repeat weeks that are hard for me and/or focus on speedwork. I did manage to go under my 12mm by about 10 seconds per mile. Not bad. For me.


Sunday (rest): It was nice to have a rest day but I'm ready to run again. Running is definitely addictive!

No comments:

Post a Comment