Monday, August 6, 2012

Half-Marathon Training: Week Three

The past two weeks have been really crazy. I had a HUGE assignment with a big, new client that took up almost every second of my day. I'm sorry to say that the first thing that gets pushed to the side when I have lots to do is this blog. It's not a money-maker and it doesn't educate my children in anyway, therefore it is the least important. I am sorry. But, though I do have several assignments in the works right now, I have a bit more time and I plan on getting back to regular, daily updates, starting today. This week's training plan:


Week Three Training Plan:
Monday: Run 3 miles
Tuesday: Rest
Wednesday: Run 4 miles
Thursday: Run 3 miles
Friday: Rest
Saturday: Run 6 miles
Sunday: Rest

Week Two Training Report:
Monday (3 miles): Ran three miles and improved my time. I ran an average of about 11:30 per mile, which is a significant improvement on last week's 12 mm. I felt like I could have gone faster, but more importantly, I felt like I could have fun longer. After this run, I feel like I don't need to work on speed as much as longevity because I am definitely satisfied with an 11:30 pace if it is sustainable.

Tuesday (rest): No problem resting. With a sick child and a seriously large deadline looming, taking the day off was super easy.

Wednesday (4 miles): The three miles didn't happen. I simply couldn't get out of the house fast enough so I ran three miles as fast as I could (about 34 minutes) and vowed to get out of the house earlier on Thursday for a four miler. Starting to get concerned about Saturday's five miles because we are going out of town. I may try to do the five miles on Friday instead, which means three runs in three days.

Thursday (3 miles): Didn't get out of the house sooner. In fact, didn't get out of the house at all. One day left until deadline and every second had to be used for work. I admonished myself for not running, this is a commitment I have made to myself, but at this point even an hour was too much to spare with over a dozen travel articles due in one day.

Friday (rest): I planned on hitting Wednesday's four miles on Thursday, then again on Friday. Nope. I worked on Thursday until 1 A.M., then got up at 4 A.M. on Friday and worked until 4 P.M. Mind you, that includes being interrupted roughly every 15 minutes to break up fights with the kids, yell at the kids, feed the kids, hug the kids, read to the kids, and drink lots and lots of coffee.

Saturday (5 miles): Despite the fact that we had a planned weekend of rest and relaxation, I couldn't blow off another training run. I got up in the morning and I ran my five miles in less than an hour. At four miles I seriously bruised my ankle and thought about stopping. I then thought about what I would want my six-year-old to see if he were there with me. Would I want him to see a mom who gets injured and quits or a mom who gets injured and battles through? So I finished my five miles in under an hour and limped home.

Sunday (rest): Spent the day in St. Louis at the zoo, the mall, and the Science Center. I didn't run of course, but I walked a lot. And I also ate ice cream. And french fries. Healthy eating begins again on Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment