Sunday, July 8, 2012

I'm Going to Run a Marathon

I have decided that I am going to run another marathon. I've been saying that since the last one, which was almost three years ago. Now, I am ready. I have the time and the desire to train. Let's get started!

I promised my husband that I would take it slowly. This means that I have to start with a half marathon and work my way up to a full. I can start training as soon as we return from our vacation, which means my first training run will be on July 23. A typical training schedule for a half marathon is about 10 weeks long. That means my half will be on the weekend of my birthday. Quite the coincidence.

Half Marathon Training Calendar from MarathonRookie
Luckily, there are several half marathons in the state that weekend and the following. No, I have not yet registered and I don't have one particular race that I am passionate about. In fact, I have completed a couple of half marathons in the past and they simply don't do it for me. I'm much more excited about the full.

Speaking of which, I do have a plan for the marathon. The Run for the Ranch marathon is held in Springfield, Missouri each winter. This year, it is on December 30. It will be cold, it may be miserable, but this is what I plan to do. Getting my husband to agree to spend New Year's Eve eve waiting for me to finish a multi-hour race is another issue entirely. Indeed, if he doesn't go along with this plan I may need to wait until spring to run a marathon, but that will just get me even more amped.

I'm very excited about beginning training for realsies. Of course, my ultimate goal is an ultra, but that training will definitely have to wait a while. A long, long while.

No comments:

Post a Comment