Monday, July 23, 2012

Half-Marathon Training: Week One

Most people don't just jump into training for a half-marathon. A distance of 13.1 miles is considerably longer than the casual runner's normal course. Generally, people start with training for a 5k or a 10k, then work their way up. Not I.

I have run several 5ks over the last few years and have even placed in my age group in a couple of them. I have found that I do not really enjoy them. Running fast is not fun for me. I don't have that happy, excited, elated feeling after a short, fast run like I do after keeping a long, steady pace. When I was marathon training three years ago, I learned that my favorite run was about 10 miles, which I could do at an easy pace in about two hours. As I've said before and will say again, I am slow.

Today I begin training for a half-marathon in earnest. If you are interested in half-marathon training, follow along with me. I'll be posting my schedule every Monday and will update the week's efforts each Sunday.

Half-Marathon Training Schedule: Week One


Monday: Run 3 Miles
Tuesday: Rest
Wednesday: Run 3 Miles
Thursday: Run 3 miles
Friday: Rest
Saturday: Run 4 miles
Sunday: Rest

Of course, there is more to training for a race than simply running. You have to make sure that you get adequate amounts of sleep, eat the right foods, and stretch well before and after your runs. Also, rest days do not mean that you do nothing. On those days, you cross-train. Go swimming, lift weights, etc. I have run a couple of half-marathons and one full. I am no expert.

Now, the question that I am left with is which race do I run? I honestly feel a little silly training for a half without having an actual race in mind. Therefore, last night I talked over with my husband when and where we should travel for a race. I live in Columbia, Missouri, which is smack dab in the middle of the state. My training schedule preps me for an early October race. Unfortunately, my husband also has plans to travel to Montana, which leaves me without someone to watch the kids. Therefore, I have looked over my training plans and have found that I can be prepared, without risking injury, for a half-marathon that falls on September 29.

I have two choices: The Moonshine Half Marathon or the Rock Bridge Revenge, which is actually a slightly longer race at 25k. The upside of the Moonshine Half is that it is near to my hometown in an area that has lots to do for the family while I'm running. The upside to the Rock Bridge Revenge is that it is right here in Columbia, which means zero travel. I am heavily leaning toward the Moonshine Half because, in all honesty, I'm not sure I'll be able to run a 15 mile trail race in 10 weeks.

I'm going to decide at the end of the week, at which time I will register for the race and, if need be, reserve a hotel. If you decide to follow along, let me know how your training goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment