Thursday, June 28, 2012

Power Food: Swiss Chard

Many years ago, I purchased a vegetarian cookbook that contains a number of delicious and time-consuming recipes. Because the cookbook was written in the UK, a number of the foods that are referenced are ones I had never heard of before. I could tell from pictures that courgettes and aubergine were British English for zucchinis and eggplants. But the elusive silverbeet? I had no idea, but the name made me think of these disgusting little bugs known as silverfish.

Not exactly my favorite source of protein
As it turns out, the silverbeet, known in other circles as Swiss Chard, is one of the most nutritious foods you can eat. I have never tried it before and, in fact, didn't even know what it was until a couple of days ago. I was reading through (okay, obsessing over) different ways to continue with my latest gardening passion by planting second season crops. A number of sources suggested I plant chard in my fall garden. So many, in fact, that I decided to run to the market and give it a shot.

Both the leaves and the stalks of swiss chard are edible. Young leaves are used in salads or on sandwiches, like any other greens. The flavor is lightly bitter, which makes them excellent choices to accompany sweet salads. I love to make salads with blue cheese, nuts, diced apples, and dried cranberries. As it turns out, chard is a tasty alternative to other fresh greens.

Swiss Chard
Once chard ages, it is still edible, but is better when it is cooked. Some sources have said to use the leaves along with or instead of cooked spinach. Others have said that the stalks can replace asparagus. Because I love both spinach and asparagus, I'm anxious to try it this way.

As for the health benefits of chard, there are many. The vegetable is high in vitamins, nutrients, and minerals. It is also high in antioxidants, including syringic acid, which can help to regulate blood sugar.

Health Benefits of Swiss Chard 
Serving Size: 1 cup, 0 grams of fat, 35 calories
Vitamin K: 572.77 mcg
Vitamin A: 10717 IU
Vitamin C: 31.5 mg
Magnesium: 150.5 mg
Manganese: .58 mg
Potassium: 960.75 mg
Iron: 3.96 mg
Vitamin E: 3.31 mg
Fiber: 3.67 g
Calcium: 101.5 mg
Protein: 3.29 g
Folate: 15.75 mcg
as well as trace amounts of Vitamins B1, B2, B3, B5, and B6

Are the health benefits of swiss chard not enough? Also consider what swiss chard does for your garden. I have no proof of this, but I have read that chard is an excellent companion to crops like beans, tomatoes, onions, cabbages, and even roses. The natural magnesium and potassium in the plant makes it a good addition to a compost pile and may even help to keep your tomato leaves from turning purple before your soil has had a chance to warm up. Speaking of warm, chard will grow well into the summer and can withstand colder temperatures as well. Or so I've read. I'm going to find out this fall. When I do, we will hopefully have a surplus of swiss chard to share with all of our friends and neighbors, or at least enough to try some of the delicious silverbeet recipes I have, until now, been afraid to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment