Wednesday, June 6, 2012

The Healthy Tomato Plant Experiment, Part 2

It is June 6, and the Healthy Tomato Plant Experiment continues. For those who aren't familiar with the experiment and are too lazy to read the previous post, I chose three different fertilizing techniques and tried them out on three tomato plants that seemed to be on death's door. A fourth tomato plant was left untouched. These all came from the same tray, they receive the same amount of sunlight and the same amount of water.

Esther Epsom, June 6
Esther Epsom, May 20
Esther Epsom was treated with epsom salts, both diluted in water and as a side fertilizer at the base. She began with yellow and brown drooping leaves. I was certain I would be pulling this plant, and all of the others, and cursing myself for wasting fifty cents on these four plants.

On the contrary, Esther has grown quite strong, tall, and very green. Yes, I realize that I am a horrible photographer and you will just have to take my word for it. From what I can tell, epsom salt is the real deal. Of course, the proof will be in the production of fruit, which is still on the horizon.

Esther Epsom received another treatment with epsom salts, both at the base and through watering, and the leaves and blossoms were spritzed with an epsom salt solution as well. The next treatment will be on Wednesday, June 20.

Cathy Coffee, May 20
Cathy Coffee, June 6
Cathy Coffee was treated with old coffee grounds in her base and was given a thorough "watering" with cold coffee. I had read mixed messages about whether or not coffee is a good idea for tomato plants, due to the acidity it adds to the soil. As you can see by the picture at left, Cathy did not have far to go to become damaged beyond any help.

As far as I can tell, the coffee grounds have not damaged the plant. The leaves are green and it is blossoming well. Cathy has not grown as well as Esther, but the experiment is still in progress.

Cathy received another treatment of coffee grounds this morning and will be "watered" with cold coffee this afternoon once I'm certain that my husband is finished with his coffee drinking and the pot has cooled off. It should be noted that we drink our coffee very, very strong. The next treatment will be Wednesday, June 20.

Eddie Eggshell, May 20
Eddie Eggshell, June 6
Eddie Eggshell was treated with crushed eggshells. This is supposed to add nutrients to the plant and is supposedly an effective deterrent against slugs, rabbits, and other garden pests. Eggshells, no matter how they are baked, cured, or mixed with soil, are not an effective deterrent against dogs.

Eddie was treated with eggshells on May 20. Eddie was eaten by my dog on May 21. RIP Eddie Eggshell. You will be missed.

I chose not to redo the experiment with eggshells for a couple of reasons. First, I felt that the experiment would not be as accurate as it could be, since these four plants were purchased together. Any other plant I chose would not have the same advantage or disadvantage as the others. Second, I assume the dog would just dig up any plant that had eggshells near it. Frankly, he already wants to tear up the garden. Eggshells are just taunting him for no reason.

Tom Tomato, May 20
Tom Tomato, June 6
Tom Tomato is the control plant, treated only with water and no other form of fertilization. I have not bought or used food spikes, fertilizer spikes, or any other thing at all. Water, sun, and love is it for Tom Tomato.

You may not be able to tell from this picture, but Tom is hanging in there, though he is easily the smallest and the least healthy looking of the three.

As of now, I believe that epsom salts are the best choice for a natural fertilizer. In fact, I'm so convinced of it that I'm treating several of my other plants with epsom salts as well. I have two Lemon Boy tomato plants that are dying, but have been given a thorough epsom salt treatment. I am also treating my okra plants, which are (for now) the only plants in the garden that have been attacked by spider mites. I also did a light spritz of  water and diluted epsom salts on all of the plants except for those that are part of this experiment.

The saga continues in two weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment