Monday, June 4, 2012

Clean Eating on the Road

Is it possible to eat clean on the road? Yes. Is it easy to eat clean on the road? No. Did I eat clean on our recent road trip? Um... no. This is not a how-to. This is a confession.

I really had no intention of eating totally clean, totally healthy foods while we were traveling. I am working on this whole moderation approach to my eating habits. Allowing myself and my children to sometimes indulge in unhealthy foods will not turn us into evil, cackling monsters. In fact, the occasional dip into junk food, processed food, and desserts may just keep us sane. However, the 1600ish mile trip involved a bit more than a sampling of unclean food. It was as though fast-food, fried food, and super bad choices were having a parade in our car and I, of course, was the Grand Marshall.

I started off smart. I packed oatmeal-to-go, which was a huge hit and something I plan on making often for everyday breakfasts. I also packed dried fruit, nuts, low-fat cheese sticks, and bottled water. I was all set for snacks and simply hoped that meal time would present itself with good choices.

Breakfasts were pretty easy. The hotels we stayed in had free morning breakfasts, which allowed me to have my oatmeal, but I wanted more substantial foods to get me through the day so I also tried to eat about half of an egg patty and half of an english muffin. I drank apple juice each morning as well. I felt satisfied each morning and made the best choices possible.

Lunch was a different story. As one is traveling, they often end up needing to have at least one meal in the car. This one meal was lunch, and it was a series of stops at Sonic, Braum's, and Dairy Queen. As it turns out, sometimes there are simply no other choices. Also, as it turns out, Dairy Queen has these things called Jaliscos, which basically amount to fried jalapeno peppers. Holy cow. I ordered the large, ate the whole thing, and didn't share. And I'd do it again. Right now.

Most fast food places do have garden salads. They are covered in shredded cheese, but dressing and croutons come on the side and can be taken in moderation or avoided altogether. However, eating a salad in the car can be difficult. If your grace is like mine, it can be darn near impossible. Therefore, when we stopped to eat, I had the garden salad, but when we were traveling I had the jaliscos, grilled cheese (with jalapenos - thank you Sonic!), cheese quesadillas, fries, and tater tots. Not exactly whole foods.

Sit down meals, for me at least, were not that much better. There are options out there, but I had two slices of pizza, a couple of dinner rolls, and macaroni and cheese along with whatever salads and vegetables I could find. I also had dessert. I unapologetically ate a slice of apple pie as well as a delicious chocolate brownie that was clearly made with real chocolate, real sugar, and possibly real lard. We were in Southwest Oklahoma after all.

Clean eating on the road is possible, but I do think it cuts into the enjoyment of the road trip, and not just for the person who is eating clean but for all of those around them. Of course the trip is not about food, but when you're at the Big Texan in Amarillo, Texas, and you insist on vegetarian fare, you're going to get chicken. That's just the way it is. Sometimes, it is best to just fly under the radar, say, "Yes, I will order the appetizer plate that includes mountain oysters, I will let other people eat the dead animal parts, as long as I can get more fried jalapenos."

Hot rolls, fried food, and good times at The Big Texan.
I am not saying no one should eat healthy on the road. The fact is, as I unload all of the meals and snacks that I had while we were traveling, I ate fairly healthy as well. What I am saying, though, is that I have no reason to be angry with myself. I had a good time, and I am home and ready to eat healthy again full-time, until the next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment