Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Half-Marathon Training Update

I had every intention of writing out my training plans and training reports every week. Really, I did. As I said in yesterday's post, I have been too busy with real-life stuff to blog it up over here.

The half-marathon training isn't going as well as I would like it. Illness, injury, and other commitments has shortened my training, but hasn't stopped it in its tracks. I have high hopes of a PR, but the more I have learned about this half marathon, I realize that it is very hilly and difficult. I may not reach my goal of 2:30, but I at least plan on breaking my last time.

I am able to run on Tuesdays and Thursdays for longer periods of time. Getting in five or six miles is no problem. Weekends are harder and I'm not able to stick with the training schedule precisely, but I can generally get in what I need. This week is a renewed effort on my part, mostly because I realize the half is only six weeks away! Still, that's plenty of time and I'm still very excited about it.

My gym has started offering early morning classes as well. Today, I took my first Body Combat course. It was good. A lot of people I know do Combat and love it, are even obsessed with it. I enjoyed it but I didn't find it overly difficult, either to follow the routines or to get through it. It was funny because I was talking to a group of ladies about it yesterday and they suggested that I might make it through 15 minutes before I'd have to leave. I wasn't insulted, I believed them. But no, it was actually pretty easy. The hardest part was understanding the instructor through the headset mic. Still, I got a great workout and a heavy sweat first thing in the morning. I had to forego work, but it was worth it. I also think it will help greatly with my marathon training. Cross training is always a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment