Thursday, November 1, 2012

NaNoWriMo

With November comes National Novel Writing Month and this year I have decided to take part in the challenge. 

I am a writer, but I am decidedly not a fiction writer. Years ago I tried to write fiction. I even completed a novel length manuscript at one point, but it took most of a year and was, to put it mildly, not good. I shopped it around with a few publishers and was widely rejected with great fervor. The only press that was willing to publish my novel was a vanity press that asked for an investment in exchange for the novel's production. I had neither the will nor the funds to follow through with this. Thus ended my aspirations of becoming a published novelists.

There were a couple of times in the past when I tried NaNoWriMo. I had what I thought was a pretty good idea about a group of lovable losers who worked for an underground organization to try to overthrow the government or something. I don't know. It's been a while. Another time, I had a great idea for a book title, but no substance to back it up.

I have not tried to write fiction in years. Now, because I think this will be a great way to relate with my dear, sweet son who loves to write, I am going to give it a shot. Who knows? It could end up being a lot of fun and it could improve my day-to-day work exponentially.

On the other hand, where am I going to find time to churn out 50,000 words? 

No comments:

Post a Comment